Women empowerment has become a significant topic in all social and economic aspects. It also means improving their economic status and well-being. This scheme has its roots set in the households and the households have a direct connection with the homemakers. Women being the homemakers have been upgraded in terms of health under this scheme. Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana is an ambitious social welfare scheme of Narendra Modi Government launched on 1st May 2016 from Ballia in Uttar Pradesh. It covers the economically weaker sections of various states and provides them LPG connections. A major portion of air pollution is caused due to unclean households which can be very easily prevented through some efficient steps.
Health and hygiene is a crucial topic when it comes to rural areas. Women and children are very easily affected by any change in the surroundings and are therefore more prone to diseases. The Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana provides a healthy life to several households making it easy for them to cope up with the hardships of life .
Watch the short film below by the BPCL India YouTube channel to understand why the Modi government took the initiative to launch this scheme:
Table of Contents
- The aim of Ujjawala Scheme
- IMPLEMENTATION of Ujjwala Scheme:
- The scheme is being launched in the following states:
- AGENCIES FOR VERIFICATION AND OTHER RELATED WORK:
- MAJOR ADVANTAGES:
- Yojana Website
The aim of Ujjawala Scheme
The aim of the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana is to provide LPG connections to BPL households in the country and replace the unclean cooking fuels mostly used in the rural India with the clean and more efficient LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas).
It benefits various sections of society maintaining a balance in terms of health. ‘Green India, Clean India’, ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’ are major initiatives being taken by the government of India having their roots in small steps likes these.
- To extend the availability of cooking gas to the women who belong to households that are Below Poverty Line (BPL).
- Empowerment of women who run the households
- A qualitative change in the lives of women
- Clean cooking gas advantage to the entire family
- Reduction of air pollution
- Healthy lifestyle
Prime Minister NARENDRA MODI said, “Ujjwala Yojana is guided by a strong commitment to bring about a qualitative change in the lives of poor women”.
IMPLEMENTATION of Ujjwala Scheme:
SC/ST group people would be the first to receive the benefit. For the rest of the group, the division of the number of cylinders being provided would depend on the particular state and its existing LPG distribution density. States that have a lower LPG coverage would be given higher priority in the Ujjwala Scheme.
The scheme is being launched in the following states:
- Ballia-Uttar Pradesh
- Mirzapur-Uttar Pradesh
- and Expanding regularly!
HOW TO APPLY FOR UJJWALAYOJANA PMUY SCHEME AND DOCUMENTS REQUIRED:
- Form for applying for the scheme is available with all LPG distributors all over the country.
- The form is available free of cost
- Basic details like name, contact details, bank account details are to be filled in the application form.
- There is a set of mandatory documents that are to be attached to the application. These are
- Panchayat or municipality issues BPL certificate
- The BPL Ration Card of the woman
- A Photo ID is required to be submitted which could be Aadhar Card or Voter ID Card
- Passport Size Photograph of recent date
- There are two types of LPG cylinders of 15.2 kg and 5 kg which need to be specified by the applicant.
- Completed application form is to be handed over to the LPG distribution service provider itself.
The woman applicant (18+) must belong to the BPL group and her name should
Be there in Pradhan Mantri UjjwalaYojana List. The subsidy would be transferred to the applicant via bank transfer, and therefore the woman applicant has to have an account in any of the nationalized banks in the country. No other household member that the woman applicant belongs to must be an existing LPG subscriber.
The government has set aside 2000 crore rupees for this project in the current FY. The project is expected to be spread over the next three years for its implementation stage and the total expenditure would be 8000 crores by then, as per estimates. Collection or generation of funds has been worked out from the scheme where people of higher income group have voluntarily agreed to give up their subsidy.
AGENCIES FOR VERIFICATION AND OTHER RELATED WORK:
The government has set up various agencies that would scrutinize the applications and award or reject the same. Respective Oil Management Company has been given the onus to verify the application and the individual’s status through their field agents. Verification process would be aided by an online data center and digital process. So far as the cost of the stove goes, the beneficiary would be given the option of going for an EMI payment process to purchase the stove which receives a positive response from the experts all across the nation.
The government also made provisions for voluntary organization or individuals to participate in the yojana if they wish to contribute towards the payment of the cost of the stove for the beneficiary. The government order indicates that this subsidiary scheme cannot be run under any other new name but must work under the ambit of the PMUY only. Oil Marketing Company has also been told to organize melas and events during which the distribution process of the LPG connection is to be held in public. The event must have in its audience some distinguished people of the local area. OMC themselves would have to collate their list of distributed connection and forward to the government administrative wing within 10 days of every quarter.
- Woman empowerment is a major topic today and needs all its attention. This scheme definitely works for this issue in an effective and innovative manner.
- Pollution is not a sign of a developing country. Air pollution caused due to fossil fuels needs to end in rural areas. Helping them for the same is not a big deal.
- A healthy lifestyle is a compulsory part of human existence. This step, therefore, helps to reduce the health hazards.
- Human life is of great value. Therefore preventing deaths due to unclean environments is a big step.
- While there have been fatalities from the usage of unclean fuel, another direct health hazard has been experienced by children in the rural area suffering from respiratory diseases. LPG usage is expected to eradicate this problem
A healthy lifestyle is a compulsion for any household. The Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana helps the rural households to achieve this through government support.
Taking into consideration the economic status of the country, a proper budget has been set aside for the upliftment of the economically weaker sections. This scheme starts with the basic necessities and its effects are wide and highly efficient. Major issues like women empowerment and environmental degradation are being very effectively addressed under this scheme. It, therefore, becomes very important that it is effectively implemented in rural areas. Expectations are high and there is a strong backbone working behind this scheme. So now all it needs is the support of the citizens without which it will just be a plan on paper being wasted for no reason.
As of April 3rd, 2017, the pm ujjwala yojana has resulted in over 2 Million LPG connections have been completed. This is a big achievement and a big growth towards a healthier and happier India. Read the Government Press Release on Ujjwala Yojna.
We believe that the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana is a great initiative and fully support it. Please feel free to add your points and share your
[button color=”blue” size=”” type=”” target=”_blank” link=”http://www.pmujjwalayojana.com/”]Official PM Ujjwala Scheme Website[/button]