Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Housing for All (Urban) – Public housing program has always been one of the most important issues for the government. According to reports and journals, this program started right after the independence for providing shelter to the homeless refugees and the poor people. In this country, the first independent rural housing program started with the Indira Awaas Yojana (IAY) in January 1996. Though this was the first program of this kind and it addressed the issues of the poor and the homeless but in spite of that certain lacunas were identified in the scheme by the Audit by Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) in the year 2014. To mend the gaps in the Indira Awaas Yojana and to provide “Housing for all” by the year 2022, the IAY has been restructured and modified and also been renamed. The Indira Awaas Yojana or the IAY is now known as the Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana and this new scheme was implemented on 1st, April 2016. This new scheme has the following features and characteristics:-
- The Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana aims to provide pucca houses with all the basic amenities to the poor and the houseless households.
- The immediate objective of this was to provide shelter to the one crore people who were living in dilapidated houses and kutcha houses.
- In the Indira Awaas Yojana (IAY) the average size of the house was 20 sq.mt, it was increased to 25 sq.mt.
- The assistance amount granted to the people increased from Rs 70,000 to Rs 1.20 lakh and from Rs 75,000 to Rs 1.30 lakh in most of the hilly and the difficult states of the IAP areas.
- All the beneficiaries of this scheme are entitled to around ninety to ninety-five days of unskilled labor by the MGNREGS.
- The assistance for constructing the toilets will also be provided.
- The government is also attempting to provide LPG connection, electricity connection and also piped drinking water.
Table of Contents
- The Objectives of PMAY – HFA (Urban)
- Benefits of PMAY – HFA (Urban)
- Eligibility and the conditions applying for PMAY – HFA (Urban)
- Documents required for availing PMAY – HFA (Urban)
- How to apply for PMAY – HFA (Urban)
- Some Important Links
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Housing for All (Urban) – PDF
The Objectives of PMAY – HFA (Urban)
Indira Awaas Yojana (IAY) was modified because it had many gaps and in the present times the needs and the demands of the people have somewhat changed. For this reason, The Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana was implemented. The following are its objectives: –
- The immediate objective of this modified scheme was to provide shelters to the one crore houseless households of this country. And the time period dedicated to this was 2016-2017 to 2018-2019.
- This plan’s primary objective was to cover the gaps and the lacunas of Indira Awaas Yojana (IAY) that were decided by Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) in the year 2014.
- The minimum sizes of the houses were increased from 20sq.mt to 25 sq.mt.
- There are also changes being done in the allocation of the funds to the people, for example, the granted assistance amount to the people has increased from Rs 70,000 to Rs 1.20 lakh and from Rs 75,000 to Rs 1.30 lakh.
- The beneficiary who takes the advantage of this scheme is also entitled to ninety to ninety-five days of unskilled labor from the government.
- Apart from these, the government of India is also trying to provide LPG connection, electricity connection and also piped drinking water.
Benefits of PMAY – HFA (Urban)
There are many benefits that the poor and the houseless households can avail from this new modified scheme of the government. The following are some of the benefits of Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana: –
- Financial assistance to the poor for building houses and toilets.
- The government is also providing unskilled labor job to the beneficiaries of this scheme. The government is trying to provide about ninety to ninety-five days of unskilled labor days.
- One of the most important benefits of this scheme is that the beneficiaries are selected on the premise of the socio-economic and caste census data. It is thoroughly verified and ensured that only the most deprived people can avail this scheme.
- The government is also trying to provide skilled masons for implementing the scheme. According to government data and statistics, it is seen that one of the major constraints of building houses like this is the lack of well-skilled labors and masons.
Eligibility and the conditions applying for PMAY – HFA (Urban)
To ensure that all the poor and the houseless people can avail this scheme the government of India has laid down few basic eligibility criteria. The main objective of this plan is to provide “Housing for all” and to ensure the following conditions have been laid: –
- The list of the beneficiaries will be made on the data of the government. Under the Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana, only the houseless and the people who are living in zero or two-room kutcha houses are only eligible.
- The SC and ST and the other backward and minorities will be given more priorities in this scheme.
- Female-headed households with absolutely no male members between the ages of sixteen to fifty-nine will be given priority and be considered.
- Households with no literate adults above the age of twenty-five years.
- Landless households who earn their living from manual casual labor.
- The households with disabled members with no able-bodied adult members.
Documents required for availing PMAY – HFA (Urban)
The following are the list of documents that are required for Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana: –
- For identity proof one can present the voter card, Aadhar card, Pan card, valid passport, driving license, photo credit card.
- For address proof one can present the voter card, Aadhar card, Pan card, valid passport, rent agreement on stamp paper, utility bill, life insurance policy.
How to apply for PMAY – HFA (Urban)
The beneficiaries can apply for this scheme through the official web portals of the government and also through the mobile applications. If the concerned person faces any problem he or she can always talk to the local authority and the administrative bodies.
Some Important Links
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Housing for All (Urban) – PDF
The Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana is one of the noblest schemes devised by the government to provide houses and basic amenities to the houseless households and also unskilled labor days. The previous scheme is restructured to accommodate the present day needs and requirements of the people around the country. And the government officials make sure that only the most deprived people get the benefits of this scheme.