Probably the biggest challenge for the government of India is to build a strong focus on the empowerment of women and the girl child. Considering the matter a lot of welfare schemes and initiatives have been taken by the government but it is still not enough. In an effort being made by the central government of India as well as the state governments of each state in order to bring up the conditions of the women living in rural areas and the poor areas of the urban areas.
Table of Contents
- Highlights on the Mai Bhago scheme
- Brief on Mai Bhago
- Mai Bhago Vidya scheme
- Implementing the scheme
- Impact created under the Mai Bhago Vidya Scheme
- Mai Bhagolstri Shakti Scheme
- Objectives of the scheme
- Small scale businesses
- Features of the scheme
- Reference and details
- Eligibility and documentation
Highlights on the Mai Bhago scheme
- Launched in the year of 2011
- This was launched to provide a daily commute facility-bicycle
- The scheme is especially for the girl child
- Has been implemented throughout the state of Punjab
Brief on Mai Bhago
The year 1705, women from the state of Punjab led a group of Sikh soldiers to fight against the Mughals, that brave hearts name was Mai Bhago. Keeping in mind the bravery shown by her the government of Punjab launched a few women empowerment scheme under the name of Mai Bhago.
Schemes launched under the name of Mai Bhago in Punjab
Two schemes, in particular, were launched under the name of Mai Bhago. The Mai Bhago Vidya Scheme is also known as the,
- Mai Bhago Cycle Scheme and
- Mai Bhagolstri Shakti Scheme
Mai Bhago Vidya scheme
The scheme was launched in the year of 2011, with the head being former leader Prakash Singh Badal, the scheme was launched with the objective of providing comfortable travel to female students if the state of Punjab, as the state faced a big problem as schools being built far from home of the students there had been an increase in the rate of dropouts among the girl students. Due to this a high number of girls started to drop out from school and started to quit schooling. To solve this problem the government launched the Mai Bhago Vidya Scheme.
Implementing the scheme
Under the scheme students of class 11 and class 12 from government schools were each given bicycles, which was later extended to the girl students of class 9 and 10 as well.
Impact created under the Mai Bhago Vidya Scheme
Considering boosting the rate of literacy in the state of Punjab, this has brought a stop to the issue of which many parents use to face as they would school children at home after they have completed their secondary education which is class 8 and class 10.
The results from the launch of the scheme have been showing positive results towards the number of women engaging in their higher studies.
Mai Bhagolstri Shakti Scheme
Under the same name, the government of Punjab launched another scheme with the main objective of throwing a helping hand in supporting women in the state of Punjab set up small scale businesses that would help benefit their families.
Objectives of the scheme
- The scheme is aimed at making the women in the state of Punjab self-dependent and strong
- To make them earn their own source of income
- Encouraging small scale businesses at an interest rate of 8 to 10 percent per year.
- Encourage the women in rural areas especially.
Small scale businesses
- Hand loom
- Agriculture and
Apart from the following businesses they could also participate in,
- Travel and
Features of the scheme
- Single or a group of women setting up a small scale business would be given a loan permit of up to INR. 25000
- Under the scheme, each woman or group of women belonging to the state of Punjab can avail the loan
- The primary agriculture cooperative societies have been made available in different parts of the state of Punjab that will offer special training to the women willing to participate in the scheme in the various fields mentioned above.
Reference and details
To apply for the scheme interested candidates must only visit a cooperative bank nearby.
Eligibility and documentation
- Must be a resident of Punjab
- Address proof
- Bank details and
- A copy of the Aadhaar card
Both the schemes launched under the Mai Bhago scheme are women empowerment schemes that are focused on benefitting the growth of women in the Indian society from rural areas and helping them make a living for themselves.