The I-T department has made an Aadhaar compulsory for filing income tax returns (ITRs) and for obtaining a new permanent account number (PAN) from the 1st of July. As per an announcement made by the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) stating “everyone who has been allotted a permanent account number as on the 1st day of July 2017 who has an Aadhaar number or is eligible to obtain an Aadhaar number, shall intimate his Aadhaar number to the income tax authorities for the purpose of linking PAN with Aadhaar.
The Income Tax Department has made it rather easy for taxpayers to link their PAN with Aadhaar with just 2 steps which do not require you to login or register at the e-filling website. This facility may be by anyone to link their Aadhaar with PAN.
The Process involved with linking your Aadhaar and PAN
- User simply needs to log on to the Income Tax Filling Website and click on the link on the left panel
- Link Aadhaar
- Type in your PAN and Aadhaar number
- Enter the name as given on your Aadhaar Card (avoid spelling mistakes) and submit.
- After verification from UIDAI which is the government website for Aadhaar, the linking will be confirmed.
In the case of any minor mismatch in the Aadhaar name provided, an Aadhaar OTP will be required. Please ensure that the date of birth and gender on your PAN and Aadhaar are exactly the same.
In rare cases where the Aadhaar name is completely different from the name on your PAN, then the linking will fail and the taxpayer will be prompted to change the name in either the Aadhaar or PAN database.
The process of linking Aadhaar with PAN is also available after logging into the income tax website.
These steps are as follows:
- Register yourself at the income tax e-filing portal, if you are not a member and register yourself at the link provided @incometaxindiafiling.
- Log into the e-filing portal of the Income Tax Department by entering the log-in ID, Password, and Date of Birth.
- On logging in to the site, a pop-up window will appear prompting you to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card. If you don’t see the popup, go to the blue tab on the top bar named ‘Profile Settings’ and click on ‘Link Aadhaar’.
- Details such as name, date of birth and gender will already be mentioned as per the details submitted at the time of registration on the e-Filing portal. Verify the details on screen with the ones mentioned on your Aadhaar card.
- If the details match, enter your Aadhaar card number and captcha code and click on the “Link now” button.
- A pop-up message will inform you that your Aadhaar card has been successfully linked to your PAN card.