West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has launched Green City scheme for developed cities and villages in Kolkata. This scheme is starting Housing Infrastructure Development Corporation (HIDCO) and is already planning a new city in the form of a green city. Under this scheme, the government has planned to build bridges, parks and ponds and the government is setting up CCTV cameras on every road in different parts of the city. The Government is focusing on improving the state’s environment under Green City scheme.
In this mission, the government has planned to redevelop the cities, villages and towns of the state and the government has decided to invest 400 crore rupees to start this scheme. The State Forest Department will plant large scale trees in monsoon and about 40,000 plants will be planted at different places of the settlement. Green City Plans will provide basic services or facilities like Wi-Fi, water supply, power supply, park, health care and healthy environment in all cities and towns of West Bengal.
Table of Contents
Benefits of the Green City Plan
- Facilities like Wi-Fi, water supply, power supply, health care and healthy environment in all cities and towns of West Bengal
- Green environment
- CCTV cameras on every street
- The bridge
- Pond etc.
Features of the Green City Plan
- West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has launched the Green City scheme to develop cities and villages in Kolkata.
- This scheme is being launched by Housing Development Corporation (HIDCO) and is already planning a plan to develop the city as a new Green City.
- Under this scheme, the government has planned to build bridges, parks and ponds and the government is putting CCTV cameras on every road at various places in the city under this scheme.
- To pay attention to the environment and planting large scale for the forest department.
- The government has decided to invest Rs 400 crore.
- Green City Plans will provide basic services or facilities like Wi-Fi, water supply, power supply, park, health care and healthy environment in all cities and towns of West Bengal.
- Funds will be collected from various government development authorities for developing green cities and towns like Kolkata Municipal Corporation, Legislative Municipal Corporation, Haldia Development Authority, Durgapur Development Authority and Ranaghat Municipality.
Updates on the green city mission in West Bengal
As for the green city mission, the urban development department of West Bengal is carrying on the vision made by Mamta Banerjee to make an increase in greenery all across the state of Bengal.
There has been a further investment of INR. 650 crore into the succession of the scheme to ensure that everything goes smoothly.
What does the scheme give?
- Conservation of water bodies
- Illumination through LED
- Installing high mast lights
- Beautifying paths along historic monuments
- Developing parks and green spaces
Implementation of the Green City Mission in West Bengal
Apart from the Nirmal Bangla project, the green city mission has ten integrated solid waste management plants at an estimated cost of INR. 421 crore that has been approved for 14 Urban Local Bodies at present.
Along with INR. 4.52 Crore for every ULB which are 125 within the state of Bengal that will allow for them to create awareness against diseases such as malaria and dengue. The government has also taken the intuitive step to provide safe and clean drinking water to all the 125 Urban Local Bodies within the state of Bengal. The safe water drinking project has been commissioned amongst 34 ULBs at present 51 ULBs are yet to be commissioned by the government.
Conclusion of the scheme
The scheme is a next step to protecting the environment and the people who live in the environment, curing diseases of any kind starts with drinking of healthy and clean water. This initiative may help save the lives of a large number of people who have been suffering from various diseases due to unclean environments around them as well as drinking dirty water. Making people aware of these situations is a real concern and must be done on a daily basis as many people are missing out on education with regards to health and safety issues.
Reference and Details
Click on this link for more information about Green City Plans