The government of Odisha is now focused on the girl child through the Biju Kanya Ranta Scheme. As the chief minister, Mr. Naveen Patnaik had declared the scheme under the name of Biju Kanya Ratna on the 3rd of September 2016 to provide a better lifestyle to the girl child and also to make sure to educate them properly like the boy child in the family.
Table of Contents
Features of the scheme
- The BKRS is similar to the other schemes supporting the girl child and their education, the Kanya Shree and Beti Bachao Beti Padhao scheme
- The BKRS would be funded completely by the state government of Odisha
- The scheme would follow the same rules and regulations such as the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao scheme
- The scheme was launched in three districts on a pilot basis
- The scheme would soon be launched throughout the state within the next three years
- Along with the scheme, Anganwadis would also be built in the next four years
Objectives of the Yojana
- The main objective is to increase the sex ratio at birth and the child sex ratio, in Dhenkanal district the child sex ratio has declined from 967 to 941 in the last 10 years.
- By introducing the scheme in the three districts they will be able to track the record of the girl child’s education.
- School amenities, standards and also the dropout numbers of the girl students can be tracked.
- Each family has to have one or two girl children
- A couple with a boy child would not be able to avail the benefits offered by the scheme
- A girl child would only get a high amount of money for her higher studies if she is not above 18 years of age or married.
Facilities of the scheme
- Under the scheme, the girl child would get an elementary education for the elementary schools.
- They would also get better benefits in schools and a better life at home
- In case if the girl is a drop out the authority will make sure that this is prevented
- A basic education will be given to the girl child in the places where the scheme will be implemented.
The initial budget invested into the success of the scheme was INR. 2 Crores. The authority said the budget can be changed on the basis of the requirement.
The recent launch would improve the Sex Ratio at Birth (SRB) and Child Sex Ratio (CSR) in the three districts. The scheme would also benefit the government in the recent upcoming elections.